Tuesday 8 February 2011

Would slow motion work in thriller films?

I was on youtube and I came across an ad about pedigree dogs. It was filmed in slow motion and it really made me laugh. I then said to myself; Would slow motion work with thriller films to build up suspense? I then thought about it and concluded that it would work depending on how we use it. I may consider using slow motion in my thriller film. Below is the ad that I'm talking about...

 
This ad was shot at a rate of 1,000 frames per second! As you can see it is in super slow motion and we can see every movement of the dogs as they jump about and every movement of their facial expressions which makes it funny to watch. This clip is not thrilling as it just shows dogs, so I searched about to see if I could find something more suspenseful.



As you can see this is more thrilling. Even though we know what is going to happen at the end (as we see the women dead on the floor) tension is still built up because of the slow motion and we get to see every detailed movment of the car and of how it hit the women. Seeing someone being hurt or abused in slow motion also makes it more disturbing and terrorfying to watch which may be a good technique to use if film makers want to create this effect for the audience (even though it may be quite off- putting!)

No comments:

Post a Comment